Just bought 1996 Kawasaki 750 sts... anything I should know?

As the title states I just purchased my first PWC. I have been building classic trucks as a hobby for years but have little to no experience with pcw or 2 stroke engines. My 96 is completely stock one owner machine.

So my questions are:

1) Are there some basic mods I can do to increase performance? I don’t want to go crazy money wise but I do enjoy tinkering with things and sometimes small things can make significant improvements.

2) What would be a good aftermarket prop to use to increase low end grunt and tube pulling capabilities? I live in Utah, I say this as I would think elevation plays in. Skat-Trak has more than one.

http://www.skat-trak.com/watercraft.html

3) Grip tape is peeling on edges, any good advice as what to use to replace?

4) The fuel gauge has the lights punched in and does not work, if I get one on eBay that looks the same but is form a different year or model will it work?

5) Does it help to smooth out the bottom of the hull with new paint or wax for performance?

6) How do you get and keep these yellow seats clean?

Thanks for any help!

Fuel gauge is quite similar if not the same to the different models of close years. I think 1100 and 900 ZXi have exactly the same gauges. If the bottom of the hull is not too beaten up, you can just paint it, otherwise some patching and polishing would help. But in my opinion it wont add too much to performance. Seats should not get too dirty, since they are not getting any grease or mud on them, just water, some vinegar solution would be a good cleaning tool. If your seat cover is worn out, you can buy marine grade vinyl pretty cheap, from $8-15 per yard and reupholster it. All you would need is to wait for the warm day and stretch it well, or use the low setting of the heatgun to make it more flexible and stretch it. All you need for this is to cut a similar to your old piece and a decent staple gun with stainless steel staples.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Its70!

1. Impeller is the best improvement, but don't expect miracles. If you want to go faster, you need a bigger engine.

2. Don't know which impeller, contact Skat-Trak or Solas.

3. Grip tape? I guess you're talking about the pads in the foot wells. Use HydroTurf with adhesive already applied.

4. Similar looking 750 gauges will work. ZXi gauges are totally different.

5. Smoothing and polishing the hull may help a little. Again, don't expect miracles.

6. Fast Orange is one of the best products I've found, but it depends on the type of dirt. There are different types of mold and some are tougher than others.

Make sure your oil lines are supple and secured properly! Old oil lines get brittle and split.

Thread Information